Prefer to talk instead? Click here to schedule a free No-Sweat Intro. Tell us your goals and we’ll tell you how CrossFit 204 can help you accomplish them!
If you’re interested in learning all the details right now, read on! The information below applies to our CrossFit program only.
Click here for our 204 Conditioning program, which has no prerequisites or on-ramp.
We’re thrilled you want to try CrossFit! This step-by-step list was created during five years of introducing people to CrossFit, and we hope it will help you navigate the process. We know starting a new program can be intimidating, so we want to make it as clear and easy as possible.
Before you start, you should know there are many CrossFit gyms in Winnipeg, and they are independent and related in name only. When choosing a fitness facility, many things are important. Make your choice based on quality, professionalism, atmosphere, location and any other factors that are important to you. Remember: you should feel impressed when visiting a new facility. If you don’t, visit another. You will know when you are in the right place.
1. You don’t have to be in shape to try CrossFit. No training is needed. You just have to make an appointment to try out a class, in which a trainer will tailor the workout to your current fitness level. People always tell us they “have to get in shape” before they come, but that’s incorrect: we exist to get you in shape. You also don’t need to be nervous: our goal is not to push you into misery during your visit, only to give you a taste of our program. Expect to work about 10 percent harder than you would on your own, and expect a coach to monitor you to make sure you’re always having fun.
2. You’ll need to contact us to make an appointment to drop in. We offer free drop-ins by appointment to selected classes at 8 p.m. on weekday evenings. We require an appointment so we can schedule a coach to greet you, talk about your training history, find out about any mobility issues or injuries and answer your questions. We want you to feel comfortable.
To book an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which weeknight at 8 p.m. would work for you. Please do so at least 24-48 hours in advance, as we spend most of our time training in the gym and wouldn’t want you to show up before we get a chance to respond. You can also contact Crystal, our manager, at 204-880-1001. We’ll confirm a time, send you some paperwork and eagerly await our chance to meet you.
3. Once we’ve set up an appointment, you just have to show up at the right time in workout clothes and bring clean shoes and a water bottle. We’ll meet you and make sure you’re comfortable, then we’ll explain how the class works. After that, we’ll introduce you to the coach.
4. In the class, you will not be thrown in head first. A specific version of the workout will be assigned to you, and it will be modified to reflect our interview with you before the class. Experienced athletes and athletes with no experience can have fun in the same workout if the elements are adjusted properly by a coach. People often say CrossFit is “one-size-fits-all fitness,” which is incorrect. We post one workout on our site every day, and our experienced trainers adjust that workout for each person. You will work at your level. The class will include detailed instructions, a thorough warm-up and a workout. Some CrossFit movements are complicated, but we keep the introductory sessions simple so we can get you moving quickly. Feel free to talk to a coach anytime you have questions. Our friendly members will also help you feel more comfortable. Remember: each one of them started with no experience at all, and they know exactly how you feel.
5. After the class, we’ll check in with you and answer any questions. We do not try to sell the program to you, and there is no pressure to continue. If you’re interested in CrossFit 204, we’re happy to tell you more. If you aren’t, we wish you all the best in your training. We appreciate that you came out and joined us for a workout.
6. If you are interested in more CrossFit, the next step is to book an eight-session on-ramp with us. (Our 204 Conditioning program does not have an on-ramp requirement.) You will be given a welcome package including our mission statement and other important info, and you will be matched up with a trainer who can work with you one-on-one at your convenience to tailor an introductory program to your needs. We’ve found that doing so helps people acclimatize because a coach creates a personalized plan for that athlete, which leads to greater success in group sessions. The cost for eight sessions is $420 (GST included; two-person sessions $630–$315 per person). We can tell you there are cheaper introductory programs elsewhere in the city, as well as group on-ramps and gyms that do not require on-ramps. We believe our individual on-ramp is an investment in your health, and we are confident it will help you learn all CrossFit movements much more quickly. Since we moved to a one-on-one on-ramp program with personalized instruction, we’ve found our clients get results much faster. If you’re the kind of person who invests long term, cares about high quality and wants to build a firm foundation for a lifetime of fitness and health, you’ll enjoy our on-ramp a great deal. To book an on-ramp, email email@example.com.
7. After your on-ramp is concluded (it often takes between 10 days and three weeks to do so depending on your schedule), you can enter group classes unless skill levels require additional sessions to ensure safe training. This rarely happens, but it’s worth mentioning because we will not throw you into group classes until you are ready. This is so you can succeed in the group setting. But don’t worry: eight sessions are more than enough time to get you up to speed in almost all cases. Your on-ramp coach will also prepare a graduation report letting all our other coaches know you’re ready to go and what assistance you might need in class. This report is circulated to all coaches so they know how to help you get fit fast. We have a variety of membership options, all listed here. Memberships generally range from about $120 to $160 per month and are dependent on the length of the membership and the number of classes you attend. Your on-ramp trainer is a fitness professional, not a sales rep, and does not receive commission. He or she will simply do a great job and let you decide if you want to take the next step.
8. Once you are set up with a membership, you can sign into classes and start coming regularly. But you are not on your own. We will check in with you regularly as you learn the movements and meet our other coaches and athletes, and your on-ramp coach will pay particular attention to you to make sure you’re progressing. We want to know how you’re doing, if you have any questions and what we can do to make your training better. You’re part of the family!