Thanks to everyone who signed up for the CrossFit 204 team for the CrossFit Games Open!
The information you’ll need is below, and if we’ve forgotten anything, don’t hesitate to contact a coach.
General Guiding Principles
1. Have fun. This is mandatory. No matter how you perform, fitness must be fun. Enjoy yourself. Have a good time. Cheer for your friends. Thank your judge. Smile on the way out no matter what your score was. Our regular workouts are no harder or easier than Open workouts. It’s just another day at the gym, so enjoy it!
2. No one shall make the following statement: “I should have done better.” There is no should in the Open. Your score is your score, and you need to put every bit of effort in so you can walk away and own that score. Do your best, and know that you did so. There’s great honour in that.
3. Judge yourself against yourself, not your peers. Most of us are in a fitness competition with ourselves. Are we fitter than last year? It’s a mistake to look at other people’s scores and feel badly about your own. Let others inspire you, and be proud of what you’ve accomplished in training. Our top athletes are vying for spots at regionals, and they need to compare themselves for others, but if you are not in that group, stay focused on your goals and accomplishments.
1. Open workouts will be conducted on Friday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 10:30 a.m. These slots are now on the calendar–please sign in as you normally would. Judges will be provided. If you cannot make these slots, we will do our best to accommodate you at other times. But in general, please try to make these slots. Depending on the workouts, we will be doing them in classes on Friday or Saturday anyway, so we may be able to arrange judging at those times. Other athletes may train in Dale’s Garage on Sunday, but the Open will have priority on space and equipment.
2. Coaches will determine whether athletes get to re-do workouts, and re-dos will only be recommended to those athletes who are in contention for regional spots. If you are sick or sore, get our advice before you do the workout. Waiting is always best.
3. Submit your scores ASAP after a workout. You may do so at the gym. We cannot help you if you miss the submission deadline at the end of each week. If you have registered your score and we have not validated it, don’t worry: We will get to it. It counts as long as it is submitted before the deadline.
4. If you need specific information about the competition structure, please review the rulebook on the CrossFit Games website.
5. Please note that the CrossFit Games are a drug-tested event, and we encourage all athletes to ensure they are not using banned substances by accident. We are committed to upholding all rules for fair competition. Check your supplements against the official rules, and if you have questions, please direct them to Coach Cole.
6. To compete as part of our official team, you must spend more than half of your training days at CrossFit 204. If you do not, you are very much a member of our affiliate group, but we will not count your scores toward our team score. This rule doesn’t affect anyone that we are aware of, but it is in place to ensure athletes compete where they train.
7. Should we qualify a team for regionals, selection will be at the coach’s discretion and will not be based solely on Open placings. Above all else, will be looking for character and commitment to the values we hold dear at CrossFit 204. Fitness also considered an asset.
8. Review all movement standards before the workout. Watch the videos. Know that your judge will enforce the standards for fair competition, and strive to move with precision to avoid missed reps.
8. Have fun.